Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday - The One Word Edition

"Waiting on Wednesday" is a weekly meme hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine. It lets us all gush about what soon-to-be released books we are jumping-up-and-down excited for. For my WoWs, I'll be choosing a Sooner (books released in the next month or so) and a Later (books further out). Here's what I'm eagerly anticipating:
Sooner:

Here
by Denise Grover Swank

hit shelves November 7th, 2011 (self-published)

description:
Sixteen year old Julia Phillips buries herself in guilt after killing her best friend Monica in a car accident. Julia awoke in the hospital with a broken leg, a new talent for drawing and false memories of the accident, in which she dies and Monica lives. The doctors attribute this to her head injury, but no one can explain how a bracelet engraved with her name ended up at the scene of the accident. A bracelet no one has ever seen before. Classmate Evan Whittaker paid Julia no attention before the accident, let alone after. Now suddenly he’s volunteering to tutor her and offering to drive her home. She can't ignore that his new obsession started after his two-day disappearance last week and that he wears a pendant she’s been drawing for months. When the police show up one night looking for Evan, he begs Julia to run with him, convincing her that Monica is still alive. Julia agrees to go, never guessing where he’s really from.

My Thoughts: Now, sure, it's easy enough to say I was drawn in by this cover: At first look she is standing in the water, but if you look closer, she is floating slightly above. Creeeepy! Then, of course, I read the synopsis and now this book has my full attention! Sounds amazing. This one is actually already out, but I can't wait get a hold of this one!


Later:

Pure
by Jennifer L. Armentrout

hitting shelves April 3rd, 2012 from Spencer Hills Press

description:
There is need. And then there is Fate...

Being destined to become some kind of supernatural electrical outlet isn't exactly awesome--especially when Alexandria's "other half" is everywhere she goes. Seth's in her training room, outside her classes, and keeps showing up in her bedroom--so not cool. Their connection does have some benefits, like staving off her nightmares of the tragic showdown with her mother, but it has no effect on what Alex feels for the forbidden, pure-blooded Aiden. Or what he will do--and sacrifice--for her.

When daimons infiltrate the Covenants and attack students, the gods send furies--lesser gods determined to eradicate any threat to the Covenants and to the gods, and that includes the Apollyon... and Alex. And if that and hordes of aether-sucking monsters didn't blow bad enough, a mysterious threat seems willing to do anything to neutralize Seth, even if that means forcing Alex into servitude... or killing her.

When the gods are involved, some decisions can never, ever be undone.

My thoughts: Half-Blood completely rocked. Definitely one of my top 10 of 2011. Possibly even top 5. So the sequel is obviously at the top of of my wishlist for 2012.
Can't. freakin. wait!!

15 comments :

  1. This reminds me that I really need to read Half-Blood. I have a copy of it on my Kindle and need to get to it soon!

    Here also sounds realy intriguing. Thanks for sharing!

    Carina

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG this is the first time I've heard of Here and I have to say it sounds good! AND I WANT Pure like yesterday!! :)


    Feel free to check out my WOW
    Krazyyme @ Young Readers

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of Here either so thanks for the heads-up! The cover is indeed creepy and the premise is interesting. Half Blood is fabulous so I can't wait for Pure too! Awesome picks.

    Dea
    Teen Readers' Diary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here is new-to-me, so thanks for sharing that one. I definitely will be adding it to my TBR list. I also need to read Half-Blood, especially after such high praise from you....I wish I had more time! Great picks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooo I like the eerie sound of the first book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, Here has an amazing synopsis and great cover. I wonder who the two men in the background are.

    I'm a big fan of the Covenant series and can't wait to see what happens between Aiden and Alex.

    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here looks creepy! I'll have to keep an eye on that one! I sooooo want to read Pure too!

    Magical Urban Fantasy reads
    bookluvrmindy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Here sounds really good! Fabulous cover too! Thanks for bringing that one to my attention! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great picks, Here does look creepy! I cant wait to read Pure!

    http://lovesbooksreviews.blogspot.com/2011/11/waiting-on-wednesday-17_23.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here sounds very interesting. I hope I will read it soon. Although the cover reminds me slightly of the movie The Ring (I hope it's the movie I think :D)... a little creepy but still interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh I love the sound of Here! It sounds mysterious and sinister and the creepy cover is awesome. I've yet to read Half-Blood but I've heard great things so I'm sure Pure will be just as good. Fab picks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd never heard of Here but it sounds intriguing! Thanks for bringing it on my radar!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I still haven't read halfblood!

    stop by my WOW post!? I have a few picks!

    http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/2011/11/waiting-on-wednesday_23.html

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think Here is already out...I think I bought an eBook copy. As for Pure, I am totally waiting for that one too! I love Half-Blood!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Here looks really good! Plus I love the cover. While haven't read Half-Blood, it as well as Pure are on my wishlist. Great picks! :)

    ReplyDelete