Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday

"Waiting on Wednesday" is a weekly meme hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine. It lets us all gush about what soon-to-be released books we are jumping-up-and-down excited for.

The Dark Between 
by Sonia Gensler

hitting shelves August 27th, 2013 from Knopf BYR

description:  A supernatural romance about the powers that lie in the shadows of the mind, perfect for fans of Sarah Rees Brennan, Alyxandra Harvey, and Libba Bray.

At the turn of the twentieth century, Spiritualism and séances are all the rage—even in the scholarly town of Cambridge, England. While mediums dupe the grief-stricken, a group of local fringe scientists seeks to bridge the gap to the spirit world by investigating the dark corners of the human mind.

Each running from a shadowed past, Kate, Asher, and Elsie take refuge within the walls of Summerfield College. But their peace is soon shattered by the discovery of a dead body nearby. Is this the work of a flesh-and-blood villain, or is something otherworldly at play? This unlikely trio must illuminate what the scientists have not, and open a window to secrets taken to the grave—or risk joining the spirit world themselves.


My thoughts: Someday, I may get tired of reading this era, and about ghosts and seances.  But not today and hopefully not before I get to read this book! It looks amazing---set in Victorian England, spirits and murder mystery and seance con artists (for some reason,  I just love reading about all the little tricks they performed to make the seances believable!) and a little science thrown in for good measure! 

11 comments :

  1. I have this one on my wishlist as well, it sounds amazing and I don't think I've ever read anything quite like this before. Great pick!

    My Waiting on Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fascinating era. Sounds like it will be good. Nice pick.

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever's WoW

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that sort of time period, so that is enticing to me. Ghosts and seances tend to creep me out a bit, but the cover and blurb may be enough to tempt me :).

    Thanks for sharing your "Waiting on" Wednesday! Here is my WoW.

    Alisa @ The Novel Nook

    ReplyDelete
  4. This does seem to be a popular theme in YA books lately. I can think of two other debuts that have the same subject and time period.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG fun. I've always been fascinated by this time and trend. I love this concept. I can't wait for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice pick! I always like a good, creepy mystery. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds pretty interesting and creepy. It's usually not my style but I've quite enjoyed both Brennen's Unspoken and Bray's The Diviners,so I might have to give this a try too haha. Thanks for spotlighting!

    Here's my WoW at Bookmunchies (:

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have not come across this book before. Thanks so much for bringing it to my attention. Happy Reading! Here is my WoW for this week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not a historical reader but I do love Victorian England and also seances and withes! Sounds dark and intriguing. Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Usually not a fan of historical fiction, but I like the whole seance con artist angle. Nice pick!

    ReplyDelete