Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Amy's View: 17 & Gone by Nova Sum Rena


17 & Gone by Nova Ren Suma
♦publisher: Penguin Dutton
♦release date: March 21, 2013
♦hardcover, 354 pages
♦intended audience: Young adult
♦stand-alone
♦source: from publisher for honest review
Seventeen-year-old Lauren is having visions of girls who have gone missing. And all these girls have just one thing in common—they are 17 and gone without a trace. As Lauren struggles to shake these waking nightmares, impossible questions demand urgent answers: Why are the girls speaking to Lauren? How can she help them? And… is she next? As Lauren searches for clues, everything begins to unravel, and when a brush with death lands her in the hospital, a shocking truth emerges, changing everything.

With complexity and richness, Nova Ren Suma serves up a beautiful, visual, fresh interpretation of what it means to be lost.

Review: I eagerly anticipated this book and even contacted Penguin Publishing for an early copy. The moment it arrived I dove right in, however by page 156 I found myself stuck. Not knowing which way I should go, to simply set it down or keep reading.

The story line was one that intrigued me, a promising thriller with a 17 year old girl who is having visions of girls who are missing. I found myself hoping for mystery to follow the ghostly images or trails of kidnapping and murder and all I got was chapter after chapter of each girl’s story of how they disappeared.  Long, drawn out and elaborate in their storyline. Not at all relating to one another but all plaguing Lauren’s daily life to the point of utter destruction. Weaving you through the mental strains of following Lauren as she tries to help the lost girls and figure out why they disappeared.

Not the ghost story I had hoped for but the inter-workings of girl who is, “lost”. Truly complex and believable, leaving you sympathetic of the delusions a mind can create. Now that I have reached the last chapter I have a new respect for how the book was laid out. Although I do wish it was done in reverse. Having the knowledge of the tragic way the mind can work gives you the understanding and sympathy you need to truly follow Lauren’s Story. Complex and often too wordy, 17 and Gone was an interesting but long read that could possibly have been published as an adult book.


Find Nova Ren Suma online: Website  •  Twitter  •  Facebook

Preorder 17 & Gone:  Amazon  •  BN.com  •  Bookdepository  •  Indiebound

4 comments :

  1. Hm, recently I really enjoy such mysteries. It reminds me a little of the Kim Harrison books which I love so much. Also, sine you mentioned the maturity of this book I might find myself enjoying it a littlemore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really wanted to read this because of the ghost story but it seems there isn't much of that but I think it still sounds very interesting and will be looking forward to giving it a try. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest, I didn't really know what this one was about. Bit of a shame it wasn't what you were hoping for, but it sounds pretty interesting nonetheless. Thanks for the review. Might have to keep a look out for this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really looking forward to this one, so sorry to hear it was a little disappointing overall. I wonder what I'll think. Still can't wait to read it! ;) I also have Imaginary Girls sitting on my shelf, so must get to that one soon!

    ReplyDelete