Friday, October 14, 2011

Guest Review! Sweetly by Jackson Pearce

Today I have, for the first time ever, a special guest reviewer on Stories & Sweeties! My best friend and partner-in-crime in all other things, and the very person who started me on YA books in the first place, will be stopping by every once in while with her thought on books! Everyone please welcome Amy, and enjoy her first review!! :D

Sweetly by Jackson Pearce

publisher: Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

release date: August 23, 2011

hardcover, 312 pages

intended audience: Young adult

series: Fairytale Retellings, book 2 (companion, not sequel)
Book 1: Sisters Red (see review)

rating:


source: from publisher for honest review

description: SWEETLY is a modernization of Hansel and Gretel and a companion book to SISTERS RED.

Twelve years ago, Gretchen, her twin sister, and her brother went looking for a witch in the forest. They found something. Maybe it was a witch, maybe a monster, they aren’t sure—they were running too fast to tell. Either way, Gretchen’s twin sister was never seen again.

Years later, after being thrown out of their house, Gretchen and Ansel find themselves in Live Oak, South Carolina, a place on the verge of becoming a ghost town. They move in with Sophia Kelly, a young and beautiful chocolatier owner who opens not only her home, but her heart to Gretchen and Ansel.

Yet the witch isn’t gone—it’s here, lurking in the forests of Live Oak, preying on Live Oak girls every year after Sophia Kelly’s infamous chocolate festival. But Gretchen is determined to stop running from witches in the forest, and start fighting back. Alongside Samuel Reynolds, a boy as quick with a gun as he is a sarcastic remark, Gretchen digs deeper into the mystery of not only what the witch is, but how it chooses its victims. Yet the further she investigates, the more she finds herself wondering who the real monster is, and if love can be as deadly as it is beautiful.

Review:
Sweetly captures you before you even open the book, with it's clever optical illusion on the cover, and continues it's grip on you until the very last page. Jackson Pearce spins a story so magical that I found myself not able to put it down.

Your mind bounces from the childhood fairytale that you thought you knew so well to a wonderfully sweet twist that makes you want to savor the mystery and keeps you constantly guessing if you are rooting for the right person.

I was delighted with the "Hansel & Gretel meets werewolves" theme and loved the shocking ending. Sweetly and Sisters Red and my new favorite fairy tales and I can't wait for the next book in this series.

The only thing I can find missing are recipes for the wonderfully delicious food that was described throughout the book---they truly made my mouth water!

Becky adds: Oh, wow, now I really can't wait to read this one. AND I just discovered the next book to get the Jackson Pearce makeover will be The Little Mermaid!! Fathomless comes out August 2012!!

Visit Jackson Pearce's site here.

Purchase Sweetly at: Amazon BN.comBookDepository Indiebound

4 comments :

  1. Great review! I read Sisters Red and liked it, but didn't love it so I'm still not sure if I'll read this one, but I did hear other places as well that it makes your mouth water at times! Glad you hear you really liked this one Amy!

    And The Little Mermaid for the next one? Hmmm... that has me interested!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this has been on my to read list for soooo long! glad to hear it's so good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pearce is a genius. I adored Sisters Red, and I really need to read this one. I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is on my tbr and I can't wait to read it!! Brilliant review!

    ReplyDelete