Monday, April 30, 2012

Guest Review: Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock

Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock

publisher: Katherine Tegen Books

release date: May 8th, 2012

hardcover, 400 pages

intended audience: Young adult

series: Hemlock, book 1

rating:




source: from publisher for honest review
reviewer: Amy

description:
Mackenzie and Amy were best friends. Until Amy was brutally murdered.

Since then, Mac’s life has been turned upside down. She is being haunted by Amy in her dreams, and an extremist group called the Trackers has come to Mac’s hometown of Hemlock to hunt down Amy’s killer: A white werewolf.

Lupine syndrome—also known as the werewolf virus—is on the rise across the country. Many of the infected try to hide their symptoms, but bloodlust is not easy to control.

Wanting desperately to put an end to her nightmares, Mac decides to investigate Amy’s murder herself. She discovers secrets lurking in the shadows of Hemlock, secrets about Amy’s boyfriend, Jason, her good pal Kyle, and especially her late best friend. Mac is thrown into a maelstrom of violence and betrayal that puts her life at risk.

Review:
Hemlock stands tall and makes its presence known, just as a Hemlock tree stands unwavering in any storm brought upon it . This, I think, is also the perfect metaphor for the main character, Mackenzie. A character that can only be described as bad ass. She is one of the strongest female characters I've come across in a long time. Tough, unwavering, head strong and able to tackle any fight or challenge that is thrown at her.

This book takes off right at the start and and keeps you hanging in your seat for the whole ride. Its not often I pick up a 400 page book and read it in a day and half, but this book so beautifully captivated me, I couldn't put it down.

Kathleen Peacock spins a wonderful and believable tale of a normal teenage life shattered by death. Not only the death itself...but the mystery surrounding the death as well. With the question of who murdered Mackenzie's best friend, Amy, and discovering all the secrets that lie in the roots of the small town Hemlock, I found myself thrown into tears one minute and wanting to cheer out loud the next. And crazily enough I found myself also wanting to believe in the possibility of a Lupine syndrome---which had me fighting the urge to glance over my shoulder in the dark of night, wondering if werewolves could really exist.

The author does an impeccable job blending the plot of the characters and the story line to make it feel so believable. All I can say is she left me out on a limb waiting for the next book in this trilogy.

And on a little side note:
Team Jacob fans will be delighted to note that you will not be disappointed. Finally a book that makes you still believe in werewolves, and gives satisfaction to those who were left wanting more!
A definite must-read!

Visit Kathleen Peacock's site: www.kathleenpeacock.com

Purchase Hemlock at: AmazonBN.comBookDepository Indiebound

5 comments :

  1. tnx 4 the review
    i can't wait 4 this1

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this one but didn't LOVE it! I do agree that she did well with the characters. I loved the twists and the mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really glad to hear that the main character is strong...the cover art, while pretty, makes her seem a little weak.

    Great review, this has really made me excited for the book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY bad ass character!! Got to love those!! Great review!! The cover is so gorgeous :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The more I read about this book the more excited I am! and... I nearly passed out on this one!! I'm usually not a super big werewolf fan, but this one with so many twists and a great mystery seems to awesome to pass!

    ReplyDelete