Sunday, February 12, 2017

New Shelf Goodies & The Weekly Nutshell {181}

For New Shelf Goodies, I'll be showing you what lovely books I acquired this week, whether from publishers, or the library, or from whatever half-crazed book-buying binge I happened to go on. :D (Inspired by Tynga's Stacking the Shelves) The Weekly Nutshell will be just that...my week here at Stories & Sweeties, in a nutshell. (inspired by Ginger @ GReads and her recaps at the end of the TGIF posts)


Here's all the glorious bookishness that's been dropped through my mailbox these past two weeks! Basically it was two weeks of jumping and squealing and happy dancing, as many of these were on my top most anticipated list for this year!!
So excited for the story and format of this one. Made You Up, this authors debut, was amazing---if you haven't read it already, I hightly recommend!
Okay, so the Peter Pan characters from book one (which was amazing, btw) meet up with the Alice in Wonderland characters and travel from London to Germany to find a poisonous apple tree.  So, you see why I am freaking excited for this??  
Family secrets and mysterious boys who inexplicably crawl out of graves. Yep, that sounds like my kind of creepy. :D
Shadow Magic blew me away last year---definitely a favorite. Can't wait to get back to this world!
This hints at all the bizarre and mysterious things I love, a mother-daughter story, all very Alice Hoffman-sounding. So I'm on board. 
Magic and a shapeshifting princess, a retelling of classic---what's not to be excited about??
The Possible by Tara Altebrando
A mother-daughter mystery + telekinesis---sounds good to me! I've bee fascinated with ESP from a young age when I first read Lois Duncan's Gift of Magic!
A Crown of Wishes by Roshani Chokshi
The Star-Touched Queen was so beautiful and imaginative, I can't wait to see what this companion novel holds!
The Girl with the Ghost Machine by Lauren DeStefano
Ah YAY, so excited. Lauren Destefano is always a win for me, I've loved everything I've read by her so far, both YA & MG!
Kill All Happies by Rachel Cohn
Not my usual thing, but it sounds like a fun one. Check out my bookstagram for it here!
American Street by Ibi Zoboi
This one looks really interesting, but it's getting some rather mixed reviews. Still, I may dive into when I'm in the mood for contemp!
Lifeblood by Gena Showalter
Unfortunately this series wasn't for me. I did a mini DNF review for Firstlife here. I'll be passing this one along, though, into the hands of someone who will hopefully love it! :)

Many many thanks go out to all the publishers, trade partners and friends for all these lovely things!!


The Weekly Nutshell:
So it was very quiet here this week as life outside of blogging has just been nuts lol. It was a veritably cursed week for electronics in my life for some strange reason haha.  My main computer's adapter died so I basically have it rigged into my TV right now so it can be close enough to plug straight into the router. My tablet took a dive---my puppy knocked it off the couch and of course the screen is now fractured so completely, it looks like a butterfly wing.  AND our router at work mysteriously broke, leaving our library catalog, internet, and account access completely down for three days. Such a strange week all around. :/ 

The sad lonely post I got up this week was my WoW post, featuring The Wicker King by K. Ancrum.  I very, very regretfully put aside Truthwitch---it seems like a good story, but I honestly just cannot wrap my head around it right now, so much gets thrown at you in those first 70 or so pages. I definitely plan to pick it back up at some point, but right now, with craziness everywhere to distract me...*hangs head in shame*.  I'm jumping into some things a little more light and fun---Secret of a Heart Note and then Daughter of a Pirate King. I finished The Inventor's Secret on audiobook so I should be reviewing that soon and I'm currently listening to Ever the Hunted on audio and it is incredible! I love the reader, she does such an amazing job. 

Here's hoping for a quiet, uneventful week to come. I just want to sit in silence and read! xD
Have a great week, all! ;D

0 comments :

Post a Comment