Friday, January 16, 2015

First Impression Review: Storm Siren by Mary Weber

 First Impression Reviews is a new feature here at Stories & Sweeties where I give my first thoughts at 50-100 pages into a book. For a details about this feature, go here!

where I'm at:  pg 120

first impressions: I’ve been dying to read this one for ages, and of course, that always comes with a little bit of cautious worry that a book won’t live up to expectations. But at 120 pages in, this is how I’m feeling toward this one: Storm Siren is the first book in a long time to make me want to hiss at anyone who tries to interrupt my reading time. LOL

Right off the bat you can see that Nym is fierce. But as the story goes along, you see that she is also funny, head-strong, frightened, and so remorseful for the people she has harmed with her wild uncontrollable powers. When she is offered the chance to learn to control them, she jumps at it, no matter how twisted the person behind the offer of help seems to be. Adora, her new “owner” is definitely a piece of work—still no telling which way this crazy character will go. But Nym finds new friends in the snarky, hilarious Breck and her overly confident and flirtatious brother, Colin. Then there is Eogan, the mysterious man charged with helping her learn to control her powers. The attraction there is getting both more heated and dangerous.

Loving the world building so far, lots of different creatures and powers and politics---and do I detect a hint of steampunkery?? Just a hint, mind you, a glimpse of airship, a run-in with a bitey little mechanical animal--- but I do love a bit of steampunk. And I had no idea I'd find it in this story!  The main story is building around a brewing war and the part Nym will play as a rare female Elemental. I am loving this so far.


11 comments :

  1. Storm Siren :D THE ENDING IS SO.. ! Hope you enjoy it :)!!!!! Mary Weber is so talented xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, yesss. SO happy that you are loving it so far :D I want this book so badly. Sigh. One day I shall buy it. Hopefully :D Amazing post sweetie. <3 I hope you will continue to love it :) Fingers crossed for you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never heard of Storm Siren before. I don't remember seeing that cover around the blogosphere either. I think I may have been living under a rock...? But it sounds awesome! ^_^ That part where you said Nym's power become uncontrollable reminded me of Elsa for some reason lol Hope you love this book until the end! n_n

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bri (Books and Ashes)January 17, 2015 at 6:01 AM

    Oh wow this book sounds really interesting! I've never heard of it before now, but I'll definitely scope it out some more and maybe read it myself. I does sound really interesting! I hope it lives up to your expectations :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds heart wrenching, but also beautiful. I'm glad you loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you're enjoying it, Becky. It sounds like an awesome book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAYAYAYAYAY! I'm so excited for youuuuu. I hope you continue to love it!! Hiss at anyone and everyone who tries to take you away. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have heard such amazing things about this one! I really want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review (as always!)! Every time you make me agree with you even if I don't! Anyway, I trust you on this and have already ordered my copy...hope I won't cry too much!

    ReplyDelete
  10. YES!! This is one where I definitely got annoyed at people for interrupting me. I loved it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great review. I can't wait to read this book! I've never read anything by Cynthia Hand but this story just seems so beautiful. And any book that can make the reader cry has to be on my to-read

    ReplyDelete