Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday

"Waiting on Wednesday" is a weekly meme hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine. It lets us all gush about what soon-to-be released books we are jumping-up-and-down excited for.

What We Keep Is Not Always What Will Stay
by Amanda Cockrell

release date: June 8th by Flux Books

description:
Fifteen-year-old Angie never used to think much about God—until things started getting weird. Like the statue of St. Felix, her secret confidante, suddenly coming off his pedestal and talking to her. And Angie's mother, who's busting up her third marriage for no apparent reason. Then there's Jesse Francis, sent home from Afghanistan at age nineteen with his leg blown off. Now he's expected to finish high school and fit right back in. Is God even paying attention to any of this?

Against the advice of an increasingly vocal St. Felix (who knows a thing or two about war), Angie falls for Jesse—who's a lot deeper than most high school guys. But Jesse is battling some major demons. As his rages start to become more frequent and unpredictable, Angie finds herself losing control of the situation. And she's starting to wonder: can one person ever make things right for ?someone else?

My thoughts: I don't read alot of contemporary stories, but when I do, I like them quirky. And this one, my friends, sounds quirky---but also heart-wrenching and emotional at the same time. It's sounds fascinating and completely original. LOVE the cover, very simple and cool. Love the skellingtons and the handwritten title...again, quirky. Really looking forward to this one!

16 comments :

  1. Oh wow this sound incredible and is a new title for me. Definitely putting this one on the wish list. Thanks. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds really good although I admit that the cover turned me off to it at first until I read the book description. Good pick!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't heard of this one, wow! Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    Check out my WOW this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of this--thanks for sharing. You are right; it sounds completely original. I agree with Christina- the cover initially turned me off, but the synopsis sounds promising. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds great! I love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the first time I've heard of this title. Very interesting! I'll definitely add this one on my TBR list! I think the cover looks really cool too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree...this sounds quirky - in a good way. Have you read How To Say Goodbye in Robot, if you like quirky?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great choice!! I haven't heard of this one yet! Thank you for sharing!

    My WoW

    Moonlight Gleam

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really loving the cover too, and this one does sound very good. Will be adding it to my list! =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, this sounds totally intense and really fun at the same time. How is that even possible? I love love love the cover - quirky, creepy, and yet romantic. I'll definitely be checking this one out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I didn't know about this book! It sounds different (and that cover is excellent!). Thanks for pointing it out :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw this on Goodreads last night....love the cover. Looks like Dia de las Muertes. (I probably spelled that wrong). Great pick!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun creepy cover. It's so Day of the Dead (the Mexican holiday).

    ReplyDelete
  14. here's mine http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/02/waiting-on-wednesday_16.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are definitely right about this one sounding quirky. I hope it's good! And I agree - the cover's pretty awesome.

    If you'd like, you can check out my WoW post here.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh, I love that cover! It's very eye-catching. Sounds like a great pick, too! :)

    ReplyDelete