Friday, March 5, 2010

Review: Prophecy of the Sisters


Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink

publisher: Little, Brown and Company

released: August 2009

hardcover, 352 pages

intended audience: Young Adult

rating:


Description from inside flap:
An ancient prophecy divides two sisters. One good. One evil. Who will prevail?

Twin sisters, Lia and Alice Milthorpe have just become orphans. They have also become enemies. As they discover their roles in a prophecy that has turned generations of sisters against each other. the girls find themselves entangled in a mystery that involves a tattoo-like mark, their parents' deaths, a boy, a book, and a lifetime of secrets.

Lia and Alice don't know whom they can trust.

They just know they can't trust eachother.

Review: The cover of this immediately caught my eye. Two stone statues stand side by side with heads bowed with a bright red rose curled around them . So eerie. I knew I had to read this one, just based on the cover and the description on the front flap. So I crack this one open and begin---and get a nice little surprise! I had no idea from anything that I had read or seen that it would be set in the Victorian era! Love that! This was a perfect setting for this story, haunting and intriguing, and I immediately pictured them in a "Wuthering Heights"-style manor with sweeping grounds and grey skies overhead. You are introduced to the two sixteen-year-old twins and their family in the somberest setting possible, at their father's funeral, and go on to learn more about how they are intertwined in an ancient prophecy that will place the two girls against each other in a fight against good and evil. The plot is amazing and creeps out at a nice pace, with some amazing twists that suddenly turn everything you are assuming on its head! I absolutely love the characters, Lia and the friends she makes, their sweet brother Henry, Alice, who is a great puzzle in herself to figure out if she is truly bad or if she is under the control of some other evil force. The amazing story continues to unfold until the very last page and beyond...

The second book in this series, Guardian of the Gate, comes out in August 2010. It's definitely at the top of my wish list!

4 comments :

  1. This book is on my shelf, but I'm keeping myself from reading just yet, but now I'm thinking I should include it in my March reading. I didn't know it was part of a series though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the lovely review, Becky!
    <3

    MZ

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had this book for a while but still haven't read it, even though I really want to, it sounds like a great read! I love this cover, but I'm not so sure about the new one they introduced this week - have you seen it? This one just seems more appropriate and intriguing based on what I've read about the book ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This book is on my TBR. Now I can't wait to read it! Great review!

    ReplyDelete