Thursday, April 23, 2015

The Replaced by Kimberly Derting {review}


The Replaced
by Kimberly Derting
♦publisher: HarperTeen
♦release date: April 28th, 2015
♦hardcover, 368 pages
♦intended audience: Young adult
♦series: The Taking, book 2
   review of book 1
♦source: from publisher for honest review

Kyra hasn't been the same since she returned from her mysterious five-year disappearance. Now, on the run from the NSA, Kyra is forced to hide out with others who, like her, have been Returned. Yet she is determined to find Tyler, the boy she loves who was also abducted—all because of her. When her group intercepts a message that Tyler might still be alive but is in the hands of a shadowy government organization that experiments on the Returned, Kyra knows it's a risk to go after him. What if it's a trap? And worse, what if the returned Tyler isn't the same boy she lost?

Review: While I have a feeling I’ll be one of the few to read this book, because I know I was one of the few who really enjoyed The Taking, I admit I had a harder  time with this second installment.  After the way book one ended, with Kyra’s boyfriend and father disappearing and her finding her way to a camp of others like her---other Returned---I guess the natural way for the story to progress would be the action-packed run from the government agents and the suspenseful search for her missing loved ones.  It was good in that sense.  Excitement, danger, and some great new characters that she meets in the camp keep the plot rolling.  

However, I found it lacking a lot of what I loved about book one.  Kyra’s angst and immaturity that I was able to accept before as  being a pretty realistic reaction of a girl thrown suddenly into a difficult and crazy situation was just too much this time around.  There was a fair bit of whining and jealousy and sulking that seemed out of place in such intense situations. Still, it’s not completely unfounded, as Kyra discovers she doesn’t quite fit in, even with others that have been abducted and returned.  There's an interesting dilemma where she is faced with figuring out what being human means to her.  And I'm not usually one to complain about a love triangle, but I didn't like the one building here.


sStill, a few really sweet moments and a good surprise twist or two pulled this one back to a decent read for me. I’m undecided yet whether or not I’m curious enough about how it ends to pick up the third book next year, but I fairly enjoyed this second book!


Find Kimberly Derting online:  Website  •  Twitter  •  Facebook

Purchase The Replaced:   BookDepository  •  Indiebound   •  Amazon 

8 comments :

  1. I still haven't read The Taking, despite owning an ARC copy, but I hope I'll really enjoy the book enough to keep wanting to read the series. Though characters that act childish, especially when they're the main character can be a turn-off. Hopefully I won't end up getting annoyed with Kyra... :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think I will continue with the series but it sounds like one of those I wait to read until it has been out for a while or it is from the library!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the detailed analysis, and how you discuss exactly what you liked and didn't like about the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh. Great review, though, Becky. <3 You are awesome. I'm glad you sort of really liked this book :) But damn it. Even you didn't like the love triangle? Sigh. So happy I did not buy this book, lol :) I had to DNF book one. Which I veeeery rarely do o.O It was just.. so awful :( this sounds worse, to me. Sigh. But I am glad that you don't hate them, lol :) Thank you for sharing sweetie. <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read The Taking yet, but I've had on my wishlist for a while. I think I'm going to pick it up because I've never read anything by Kimberly Derting, and hopefully I'll enjoy it - and The Replaced too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice review about the character

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved The Taking so I've been looking forward to The Replaced. Sometimes the second book living up to expectations is hard when the first book impressed me so much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read The Taking last year and found that it was an okay read but I still want to continue with the series. A bit disappointed that Kyra . still hasn't developed as a character.Great review and I might pick the second book up .

    ReplyDelete