Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Old Books, New Looks {8}

Time again for another round of Old Books, New Looks, where I feature the covers of books that have already been released and their redesigned paperback counterpart! :) Sometimes I like the new better, sometimes I like the old. Here's a few that I've come across lately:

The OLDIES  vs.  The NEWBIES

First up, a full-on change: cover, model, even title.  Same book, though.  I really actually like both.
APPLAUSE!! Love this change, second one is so pretty. 

I'm on the fence with this one.  Kind of like both, love the mischievous glare from the original, love the dresses on the new, but I kind of don't care for the stark "photograph" feel of the new one.


Hm...not sure about this one.  The new one looks kind of like an old 80s after school special cover. But didn't really care the first cover either.

This one, I like the original better; she just looks too computer generated in the new one. She kind of does in both, actually, but the new one looks like lower quality cgi video game.  Plus, it's so similar, why did they even bother redesigning?


Now, these last two....

WHAT??
Why did they change this one? Why? I loved the original cover!! Now it looks washed out and just ordinary.

And for the grande finale>>>

WHAT????
Are you kidding me?  I literally didn't know what to say when I found this one. Granted, her wings are a bit odd and disproportionate in the original, but the new one? What is going on there? This has to be one of the worst cover changes I've seen...ever.

Weigh in on what you think of these!  I'd love to hear what your thoughts!!

8 comments :

  1. I prefer Thorn abbey (I'm not a fan of changing titles..) this one looks more memorable. I love the change for Midwinterblood! Hmmm, I like both of them, but I'm leaning towards the new cover for Maid of secrets. Dark Triumph older one fore sure! Second one looks like a computer game.. Nothing wrong with it, but I don't see the appeal. And HAHAHA for The peculiar. They went from pretty to amateur..

    ReplyDelete
  2. So it took me half the post to realise you talked about the covers BEFORE you posted the cover XD

    I don't understand why they changed Dark Triumph! It was pretty before, now it's... weird. The Perculiars was find before, and the new one is pretty interesting but it feels like a different book. I think Midwinter Blood is the only change I 100% approve of (no more startled serial killer lady XD )

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT are they thinking? The original cover of The Art of Wishing was so pretty, and they ruined it! The new Dark Triumph cover is awful as well, and for The Peculiars...I don't even have words. The only cover change I really like out of these is the one for Midwinterblood

    ReplyDelete
  4. some of these new ones are downright terrible I really like the original Peculiars. I passed on it the other day because of the new cover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only one I've read is The Ruining and the original cover portrays the suffocating confusion the mc feels in the book as well as the scenery. The new one just makes her look angry and dirty.
    I wonder why they choose to create new covers. Are they not selling? Do they look too similar to another cover? I imagine it's very frustrating to the author, especially if she isn't find of the new cover.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What? They changed Dark Triumph? NOOOOO! Way better before.
    Humph!!!
    I'm mad.
    But thanks for letting me know. :)
    The Ruining, The Art of Wishing, and Peculiars were also way better before.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, thank you for sharing :D Hih, I'm not sure how I feel about the covers for Midwinterblood. My very old ARC has a different cover, and I'm liking that one better (A) But damn it! Dark Triumph? REALLY? :( Sad face. Loved the first one. Hate the face on the second one :\ Grr. Hoping it might be better in person :) Thank you for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. The original cover of The Ruining was what made me add it to my wish list. I'm in LOVE with it. The new one... I don't think it looks original at all.

    ReplyDelete