Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Becky's View: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer


Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
♦publisher: Feiwel & Friends
♦release date: February 5th, 2013
♦hardcover, 454 pages
♦intended audience: Young adult
♦series: The Lunar Chronicles,  book 2
  my review of book 1, Cinder
♦source: from publisher at ALA
Cinder returns in the second thrilling installment of the New York Times-bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She’s trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she’ll be the Commonwealth’s most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit’s grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn’t know about her grandmother and the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother’s whereabouts, she has no choice but to trust him, though he clearly has a few dark secrets of his own.

As Scarlet and Wolf work to unravel one mystery, they find another when they cross paths with Cinder. Together, they must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen who will do anything to make Prince Kai her husband, her king, her prisoner.


Review: And so, my serious love affair with this series continues.  When you love a first in a series as much as I loved Cinder, there is always that fear and trepidation going into book 2---will it fall flat? Will it have the dreaded second-book slump? Will it just not live up to the wonder of the first?  Thankfully, the answer to all three of those questions is a very adamant NO.  Scarlet was an incredible and exciting follow up to Cinder.  And what made it even more fun was that I was SO busy during the week I was reading Scarlet that I was forced to move through the story slowly, savoring each twist and turn so much more than I might have if I'd taken a day or two and just zipped through it.  The anticipation of getting back to a book every time you have to set it down is a sure sign of it's greatness. 

In Scarlet, we get some fantastic new characters. There is, of course, Scarlet.  With an attitude as fiery as her red curls, she's one who knows her way around hovercrafts and rifles alike.  Her grandmother is missing and she is not going to let anyone or any fear stand in her way of rescuing her.  She reluctantly teams up with Wolf, who claims he can lead Scarlet to the kidnappers.  Even as they grow closer and build up trust, you never can be quite sure of him---he is, after all, the "big bad Wolf" in this retelling!  Still, the chemistry between them is undeniable and well, you'll just have to read to find out how that turns out, but I loved it and it certainly kept me at the edge of my seat!

The story is told from a few different POVs, but mainly it alternates between Scarlet and Cinder.  Cinder is as smart and strong-willed as ever, but still a bit wounded from her experiences with Kai and how that ended up.  She is in a major struggle with her own destiny, knowing what everyone expects of her in her newly discovered identity, but not so sure she is ready to take it on.  Another new character is Thorne, Cinder's accidental new partner in crime, who very much reminded me of Han Solo from Star Wars. :D  Had to love him---a bit shifty and an integrity that is definitely questionable, but still a character that is fun and entertaining to read. 

The world that Meyer creates has expanded it's reach from Japan into France and it also grows in all it's detailed, imaginative, futuristic glory, and definitely in it's darkness and danger.  A new vicious threat is introduced, Queen Levana's evil grip gets more powerful, and time continues to run thin as Kai makes a desperate decision and this story hurtles forward. OH, it is going to be an awfully long wait for Cress, book three in this series!  And have you heard?  It features Rapunzel and takes place in the Sahara Desert! I'm definitely intrigued!
Find Marissa Meyer online: Website  •  Twitter  •  Facebook

Purchase Scarlet:  Amazon  •  BN.com  •  BookDepository  •  Indiebound

 

21 comments :

  1. Ahh I can't wait to read it! I'm just hearing awesome things about it and I cannot wait to meet Scarlet and .. of course Wolf!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have heard nothing but great things about Scarlet. I really loved Cinder so I can't wait to read this one. I have been putting it off though because I was scared since this book introduces new characters, I guess I'm just stuck on wanting to know more about Cinder's story and not Scarlet's story.

    Thanks for the great review, glad you loved it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never fear, Alexa! You get lots of Cinder's story and they both intertwine perfectly!

      Delete
  3. I have the same fear so I was relieved when reading your review. Can't wait for my copy to arrive in the mail!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The point you make about having to savor a book because of being busy- SO TRUE. It definitely forces you to read slowly and actually ponder about things while you're not reading, because you're so busy. And I'm always so scared when I read a really good first book and it has a sequel, because I want it to be even better. So I'm glad Scarlet didn't disappoint! I'm so excited to read about this new character and also get Cinder's POV as well. The romance also sounds fantastic.

    Fabulous review, thanks for sharing! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are so many great books that I sped right through lately! Makes me want to go back and read them again, nice and slow. :)

      Delete
  5. I have this one and Cinder on my TBR list now:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fantastic, Jamie! I hope you find time for them soon!

      Delete
  6. Great review sweetie :D So glad you loved Scarlet. <3 Sigh. Wasn't it just perfect? <3 Cinder and Scarlet is on the top of my favorite books. <3 They are just amazing. I also very much adore Marissa :) Anyway! Scarlet was just so good :D And I'm dying to read Cress. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad this book doesn't have "second book syndrome"!!! I loved Cinder!! I have Scarlet sitting on my table, but I have a read-a-long I have committed to that I have to finish first. I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm in the middle of it and am currently loving it!! Definitely need to finish it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm in the middle of reading this one right now! I am loving it so far, I was afraid I wouldn't like the new characters but all of the characters are well developed and we get plenty of Cinder :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was SO excited when I got home late the other night and found my pre-ordered copy waiting for me! It's a busy weekend, so I won't have the chance to devour it either, but it might be nice to slowly enjoy it as you did. :) I'm only about 50 pages in but I can't wait to see what happens next! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I absolutely loved this book. It was a great follow up to Cinder, and I loved the new characters as well! Scarlet, Wolf, and Thorne are great new additions to these series. I'm so glad this sequel didn't disappoint!

    ReplyDelete
  12. thanks for the review! i love fairytale retellings. I haven't read Cinder yet but I'm excited to start on this one as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so glad you enjoyed the book. I love retellings. I really enjoyed Cinder and can't wait to read Scarlet. It seems like most reviews I have read are positive. I agree that the author did a wonderful job with the storyline and how it connects. I love how the heroines are strong characters. Everything is just so unique. :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have this sitting on my shelf, but haven't started it yet. I think I'm afraid I won't love it as much as Cinder, so I'm glad to hear that those fears are unfounded. Now to dig in!

    ReplyDelete