Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday

"Waiting on Wednesday" is a weekly meme hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine. It lets us all gush about what soon-to-be released books we are jumping-up-and-down excited for.

Life is But a Dream
by Brian James


hitting shelves March 27th, 2012 from Feiwel & Friends

description:
Alec and Sabrina are crazy in love. Problem is: Sabrina’s really crazy.

Sabrina, an artist, is diagnosed with schizophrenia, and her parents check her into the Wellness Center. There she meets Alec, who is convinced it's the world that's crazy, not the two of them. They are meant to be together; they are special. But when Alec starts to convince Sabrina that her treatment will wipe out everything that makes her creative, she worries that she'll lose hold of her dreams and herself. Should she listen to her doctor? Her decision may have fatal consequences.

My thoughts: Gorgeous, and slightly disturbing cover, and the description has me intrigued and curious to see how a subject like this will be handled. I've always been drawn to stories about mental illness---Splendor in the Grass, Lisa Bright & Dark, Mad Love (the movie, not the recent book)---wonder what that says about me LOL. Anyhow, this looks great, possibly one get the kleenex out for.

15 comments :

  1. I like the cover ! A book with a character having schizophrenia that's new!

    Feel free to check out my WOW

    Krazzyme @Young Readers

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this one does sound intriguing. Definitely interested to see how well the author does with a schizophrenic MC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i haven't heard of this novel before but it sounds like a unique read. love it!! i'm adding it to my wishlist. :)

    michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of this one, but it does sound good. I remember watching Mad Love--such a good movie! I've never read a book with a schizophrenic protagonist, so I will definitely keep my eye out for this one. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this sounds really different! I'm totally intrigued to see how the author deals with such a difficult and sensitive topic. (and the cover is pretty)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You should definitely try Tighter by Adele Griffin if you like this type of thing. I am going to check this out!

    My WoW: http://yalitwit.blogspot.com/2011/09/www-14-and-waiting-on-wednesday.html

    My AWESOME Giveaway (Signed Copy of Across the Universe by BethRevis): http://yalitwit.blogspot.com/2011/09/review-giveaway-across-universe-by-beth.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was one of my WoW picks last week! It sounds really fascinating, and I love the use of white space in the cover. (By the way, since you're interested in stories about mental health issues, you might want to check out my Psychtember event! :D)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like an emotional read, which are usually the best.

    My WOW

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've seen this one a few times recently - definitely sounds interesting! I agree that the cover is gorgeous, though a little creepy too. Fab pick!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds sooo good, I am definitely adding it to my list. That cover is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. PS I'm not sure why I haven't grabbed your button before but I just did. It's at the bottom of my page now :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i agree with you on the cover, pretty at first and then disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eh the cover doesn't really do it for me, but the summary makes the book sound amazing!

    ReplyDelete